Tuesday, January 31, 2012

January 30, 2012 E-Mail

This week really flew by so I can't remember much that happened. We are excited for this Saturday because our investigator Ashley should be getting baptized. She is really excited and is getting a lot of support from her husband's family as well as the ward. This ward doesn't have very many convert baptisms, so when there is one. They get very excited. The last baptism before this one was last January if I remember right.
Yesterday we went to our PEC meeting and the Bishop called on my companion to say the opening prayer. After he said well the reason why we picked on Elder Soderberg to say the prayer was because.... Well I thought he was going to say because that will be his last meeting in that ward. But that's not what he said. He said because I'm going to ask his companion Elder Schvaneveldt to speak in sacrament meeting. And I hate speaking! Especially at last minute. But it went really well. I spoke with some old guy and he told me he could take up anytime that I couldn't. But I took up my 12 minutes and it went alright.
We had a pretty neat experience this week. Our appointments had fallen through and we didn't really know what to do because it was later at night and our teaching pool is really small right now. Well we felt prompted to go see a guy we have been working with. We got there and he was just completely drunk. At first he was being sort of comical and he invited us in. Well then he got really sad and was even crying on my companions shoulder. That part was pretty funny. but he has been through a lot because he has a couple of kids and doesn't get to see them often and he's been to Iraq and stuff too. So his life has been tough. Well he told us he just wanted to kill himself because he had nothing to live for. All I could really think of doing was to give him a blessing. So we gave him a blessing and right after he was different. He asked us why we came over and we told him because we felt prompted to. He told us that if we wouldn't have came over that night that he probably would have killed himself. I'm not sure if he really would have or not, but it was neat to see how the Lord works. Either way it was obvious that he needed our help that night.
Last night I also found out that one of my investigators in Wenatchee is going to get baptized this coming Saturday. Her name is Kathy, you may remember me talking to her. She was really strong in another church and was actually the reason why the Christian Orthodox church went to Wenatchee. Well Elder Kurtz called and told me that he saw her on Saturday at a baptism and he went to say goodbye to her because he goes home soon. She told him how she wished she would have been on the ball earlier so that she could get baptized while the first missionaries that taught her were still there. Well that night at 2 in the morning she woke up and she couldn't sleep and all she could do was think about the conversation she had with Elder Kurtz. So she texted the missionaries and asked if their was any way she could be baptized before Elder Kurtz went home. That made me really happy. I was hoping she would get baptized when I was in that area but she was having some health issues and other road blocks. It's so great to see people accept the gospel and receive all of the blessings included with it.
I'm so grateful for the Gospel and the comfort it has given me during rough times. And also the happiness it has given me during good times. I know that this gospel is true. I know that God is our Father in Heaven and that Christ is the Son of God and our Savior. I know that this church is true and that it was restored through the prophet Joseph Smith. I hope you all have a great week! And thanks for everything!

Love Elder Schvaneveldt

No comments:

Post a Comment