Saturday, October 8, 2011

October 3, 2011 E-Mail

This e-mail probably won't be to long because nothing crazy happened this week. No weddings or anything stressful like that. So I'll start out with transfer information. I will be staying here again. My companion, Elder Jones, will be leaving. He is going to Othello to be with my MTC companion. And an Elder named Elder Kurtz will be coming to be my companion. I'm really excited. I've served around him a little bit, in fact he was my zone leader when I was in Mattawa, and I really enjoyed him. He has only been out 6 weeks longer than me.
Basically the highlight of this week as you all know was General Conference. I really enjoyed it and I was even able to stay awake this time! I need to review my notes again to remember it all, but the one talk that really stuck out to me was that one yesterday morning about the Book of Mormon. That talk was sweet. The whole time I was just thinking about some investigators that we have that won't read in the Book of Mormon. If they could have just heard that talk! I loved how he said that it's either of God, or of satan. There are no inbetweens at all. As we read it, if it makes us feel better and closer to God, which it does, then it is of God. If it makes us feel closer to satan then it's of him. But it clearly won't do that. I love how he quoted a few scriptures. It testifies of Jesus Christ and brings us so much closer to Him. And it's the keystone of our religion. If it's true, then the rest of it is. I can't wait to get that talk printed off and read it with a few people we have been working with lately.
I just thought of this awesome guy named Jeff that we met this past week. He is paralyzed from the chest down and has been since last May. He had a 19 year old son that had passed away and they were at the funeral home getting his funeral set up. Well on there way home his wife fell asleep driving and rolled the car and it paralyzed him. This was all out in Iowa and due to finances he had to move out here to live with his mom. He had the most positive attitude for all that he had been through it was amazing. He is stuck to his wheelchair and wants to come to church but has no transportation because they can't afford a wheelchair accesible van yet. We are working on finding a way for him to get to church. He is a really cool guy.
Jesus and Desiree are still doing really well. Jesus has been really busy working because it's right in the middle of apples and pears up here. So a bunch of the hispanics are really busy. Hopefully as the fruit season dies down, our work will pick up. Alma is also doing great. She came to conference yesterday and all she could say was, "awesome!".
I love the gospel and I know it's true. I know that Thomas S. Monson is a true prophet of God. I know without a doubt that the Book of Mormon is the word of God. I know the church is true! Have a great week. I love you all!
Love Elder Schvaneveldt

No comments:

Post a Comment