Thursday, May 27, 2010

Hola!

 
So as you have heard, I am in good old Warden, Washington.  And yes, it is small.  Let's just say there isn't even a wal-mart, and no places to even eat.  I'm starting to get used to it though.  This morning we had to go to Othello.  There is a wal-mart there and some restaurants.  Like subway, burger king, mcdonalds, kfc, and a&w.  I think that's about it though.  So it's also a very small town.  But it felt like today that it was huge.  I'm getting used to the little town.  At first it was pretty weird.  My companion is actually from Kearns.  Originally from Mexico though.  He moved to Kearns when he was about 13.  So his spanish is amazing.  A lot better than his english.  But here in Warden, we are the only missionaries.  So we are responsible for the english and spanish.  So I still speak way to much english.  I'm getting to where I understand a good portion of the spanish, but I still can't speak it very good.  So it's hard in spanish lessons.  But it is coming slowly.  You would usually get an e-mail earlier, but the computers in Othello were broke so we are back in Warden.  Tony Spencer's parents are in our spanish ward here.  I guess it's there calling or something.  But so far things are going good.  I have a lot to say, I just can never remember anything.  This last week has been long, but good.  We have a car, but we bike a lot too.  We bike around town but then whenever we need to go out of town like for dinner appointments or whatever we need to drive.  Things are spread out.  We live with members.  That's alright.  We just live in there basement.  It's not finished.  My companion takes way long showers, well yesterday they said something about there water bill was probably going to go up, so I guess we need to start taking way short showers.  My companion is great and is trying really hard to help me out.  We definitely stay busy.  His last companion was a little lazy but that has changed for sure.  He has been here in Warden for a long time.  So he will probably be transferred really quickly and I'm guessing I will take over the area for 6-7 months.  We will just have to see.  Some things I could probably use are, some short sleeve shirts, probably like 2 or 3, then a sweatshirt type thing.  Like a nice black fleece one that buttons up.  That way I can wear it with any of my pants instead of my suit coats.  I hope that makes sense.  Then just some cheap black and brown pants from di or something.  Just some that I can bike in and tract in and not care about.  My companion also said to ask for an electronic translator.  I guess cosco sells them.  But if you can't find it, or it's way expensive then don't worry about it.  He wouldn't take me shopping for food or anything this last week, so I haven't eaten much this last week.  Mainly peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.  But we went and got stuff today so I'm happy.  We have dinner appointments on Saturday, Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday nights with members.  Then if we can get them throughout the week with none members then that's great.  We did service in one ladies yard, I got to mow it, so that's always fun, but she fed us some good carne asada after.  With home made tortillas.  Then we got to do another service project too.  We drove by a house and a lady and guy were up roofing it.  So we stopped and asked if we could come back and help.  So we went back the next day.  She said she had just barely prayed to god for those two boys to stop bye.  So that was pretty cool.  We got about half the house shingled then we had to go.  My companion had talked to her a few weeks ago and she wasn't very nice.  This time she told us we better come back no matter what.  So it's cool to see that doing service get's you in the door.  Another pretty awesome story...  We went to this house and this lady asked us to "pray" over her mom.  So give her a blessing.  We said sure.  We went back in the back room and this lady has cancer.  She was in bad shape and looked like she was almost going to die.  We gave her a blessing.  Two days later we swung bye, and she was outside walking around.  She said she knew that what we did helped her for sure.  And the cancer was rapidly going away.  So those were some cool experiences I've had.  Almost everyone here lives in trailers.  It's like a giant trailer park.  It's hard to tract because people are either working, or sleeping so they can go to work in the middle of the night.  Most of them working on dairies or potato farms.  The county here is the second highest in the nation in producing different varieties of crops I guess.  The circle farms are everywhere and they are gigantic.  It's pretty cool.  We went out to a farm yesterday to talk to a guy.  He let us get in the tractors and start them up and everything.  It was cool.  I will try to send pictures.  We have been teaching a lot of lessons too.  We have a few people we are trying to get baptized on June 26th.  But we will see cause it's so hard to catch people at home.  The best way to tract is to go out on bikes and just look for people outside.  So it's pretty ghetto here, but it's cool to see how happy people are with what they have.  They just need to the gospel and they will be more happy.  It definately provides a structure to families. I'm about out of time though!  My address is 212 E. Hillside  Warden, Washington 98857.  It was kind of a lonely week for letters and stuff!  But oh well.  I'm sure I have a lot more to say. I just can't think and am out of time.  I love you all so much and thank you for all you do!  Oh yeah, I do have one more quick story.  So we were tracting and ran into this guy and lady.  My companion says to the lady.  El es su hijo verdad?  Well the lady quickly responded.  No!!  El es mi esposo!!  It was hilarious.  I know this gospel is true and I am so glad I am blessed with the oppurtunity to bring others into it.  I love it so much.  I love the book of mormon and the guidance it brings into everyones lives. I know god listens, and answers prayers.  And I do know that we have a living prophet on earth today!  That's a hard one for people to understand.  I love you all so much.  Have a good week!!

No comments:

Post a Comment