Monday, May 30, 2011

May 23, 2011 E-Mail

Sorry I am so slow in posting this!

Not to much happened this week.  It was a good week though.  Annabel is still preparing to be baptized this next Saturday.  We are really excited for that.  I was in Royal City on exchanges because I had to go do a baptismal interview and my companion went over and saw her and taught her about tithing and she just agreed and said sure I'll do it.  It's so awesome to see people like her who have that faith to make changes in there lives.  Another couple we are working with is trying to get married so they can live the law of chastity.  But you have to have id to get a marriage license.  And that's a problem right now.  So we are helping them out with everything we can.  They aren't sure about baptism yet, but if they live all of the commandments then the Holy Ghost will testify the truth to them and tell them they need to get baptized.  Each time they come to church they seem to like it a little bit more.  We had an awesome family home evening with them last Monday at the Bishops house and we are going again tonight with them.  The ward here is awesome at fellowshipping new people and we have an awesome Bishop and Ward Mission Leader.
Just as Weston's e-mail said, we have been dealing with the same problem.  Everyone we were talking to said that the world was going to end on May 21st.  So whoever made that one up probably feels pretty dumb right now.  We have had question after question about it.  And everyone who has been asking us believes in the Bible and it says that only God knows when the world is going to end.  I'm getting pretty sick of the topic.  It was really bad about a year ago too because that's when the movie 2012 came out.  So I'm glad that the 21st has passed and that we are all still alive.
I had a little experience yesterday with the spirit.  Sometimes investigators come to church, they pull in the parking lot, then they turn around and leave because they don't feel comfortable coming into the church.  Well yesterday we were in our gospel principles class and I felt like I should go outside to the parking lot and call some people.  Well I'm learning to not ignore promptings like that.  So I got up and went out with my companion and started calling some investigators and less actives to tell them they could still make it to sacrament meeting.  Well no one answered.  So we started going back inside and one of them called back.  So I answered and talked to him for a minute and he told me he was going to try and make it to sacrament meeting.  And in the mean time another investigator pulled up.  I don't know why, but for some reason I just think we were supposed to be in that parking lot when the investigator got there.  It's just sort of cool to see how the spirit works.  It wasn't a loud voice or anything that told me to go out and make the phone calls.  I just felt like I should.  So I did and we were able to meet the investigators outside and take them in to there classes.  It was a cool little experience.  That's about it for this week.  Transfers are next week already!  I'm hoping I get to stay here in Mattawa.  I really like it.  It's a great place.  But I have loved all of my areas.  I know that this church is true.  I know that the Holy Ghost is real and that it can communicate with us.  We just need to be willing and available to listen.  To many times we get drowned out by the things of the world.  Serving a mission has been the greatest opportunity for me to gain a testimony.  I'm so grateful for all of you and your love and support.  Have a great week!
Love Elder Schvaneveldt

No comments:

Post a Comment